The Brother SE400 Computerized Sewing Machine is actually a combination of embroidery and a sewing machine. Since it is computerized, it is perfectly designed to help you create customized, professional looking sewing and embroidery projects. The automatic needle threading system and the backlit touch screen are very convenient and easy on the eyes. To increase the level of convenience a notch further with your sewing and embroidering, the following features are seamlessly integrated into the whole system:
- Quick-SetTM drop-in top bobbin
- Easy bobbin-winding system
- Built-in push-button thread cutter
You can easily embellish your sewing projects with embroidery with a large, 4″x4″ LED lit embroidery field. There are 70 built-in designs to choose from and 120 frame patterns which are ideal for home decorating, crafting and personalized gifts. You can embroider on clothing, towels and shirts. You can also easily connect this to a computer, which gives you access to your own custom designs, and you can also gain access 1000’s of available embroidery designs online.
Brother SE400 Computerized Sewing Machine Reviews
The Brother SE400 Computerized Sewing Machine received very positive ratings from almost everyone people who has purchased it and used it. The online reviews are really good, and a lot of people have commented on how easy it is to use and to operate. One review stated that it only took a couple of minutes to figure out how to operate the SE400 because the operation manual is very well written and the diagrams are easy to follow. The DVD is also a great complement to the printed material, although some customers found the Quick Start Guide a bit difficult to understand.
This sewing machine is a dream!!!! It is such an easy machine to use. A good suggestion is to watch the DVD on it’s features and use first.
It is compact and comes with a handle on top, which makes it portable. It is lightweight, and it still feels sturdy while sewing. The self threading feature, and the thread cutter, bobbin sensors and drop in lower bobbin are favorite features among owners.
The automatic needle threader is great since I was worried my old eyes would make sewing difficult.
Another feature that customers are finding very advantageous is that the SE400 can be connected to a computer via a usb port connection. This feature allows the user to upload embroidery designs directly from their computers or from the web to the machine. Also, any updates to the machine’s software can easily be downloaded and installed.
I love being able to download designs off ETSY from my computer!
The downside is that the machine only has 512kb internal memory, which means that users can only save up to 10 patterns. A computer or a laptop needs to be handy so the user can upload the desired pattern
Also, the designs that you need to upload should be 4”x4” or smaller for the machine to recognize it. In addition, many customers found the built-in patterns sub standard and almost unusable. But there are a lot of great 4”x4” designs on the Internet that can be used instead.
Aside from this negative feedback, overall, the Brother SE1400 delivers on what it promises: ease of use and convenience. It is also reasonably priced with a lot of great features to boot. The SE1400 is great for both beginners and intermediate users who love embroidery and sewing.
Overall a great machine at a reasonable price. I would buy it again.
Don’t just take my word for it! Read 90 More Customer Reviews and Opinions
Brother SE400 Pros
- the SE-400 feels sturdy while sewing and it is a very easy machine to operate
- took me only a few minutes to figure out how this machine operates
- comes with a USB cable which connects directly the sewing machine to your computer
- compatible with a Mac computer
- I had the machine out of the box, and was embroidering on a scrap piece of fabric within an hour after I opened the box
- I’m really happy with the ease of switching things out (presser feet, presser foot holder, etc) and also with the ease of threading
- I ordered this from Amazon with Prime 1-day shipping and got it the next day
Brother SE400 Cons
- hoop size – you are limited to the 4×4 hoop size
- I am usually quick about learning software but the menu system is not very intuitive. However, once I read had to use it and played with it for a bit, I am able to get around
- it only holds 512 kb of data in memory so you can’t load all your designs, unless you have a compatible memory card to load in machines slot. Keep them on your computer and load them when you need to
Brother SE400 Computerized Sewing Machine Features
- Computer Connectivity with Update Capabilities
- 67 built-in sewing stitches with 98 stitch functions
- Easy-to-view back-lit; touch screen LCD display
- 25-year limited warranty
- Product Dimensions: 20.3 x 15 x 15.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 23.8 pounds